A Message from Spare Key Executive Director, Erich Mische
- Donors have made different choices on how to exercise their personal philanthropy.
- Donors want to have more control of how their philanthropic dollars are being used.
- Donors want certainty that the money they are donating is being used for the purposes intended.
- Donors want to maximize tax benefits from their charitable contributions.
The Spare Key Help Me Bounce crowdfunding allows donors to choose how they wish to donate to Spare Key. They may choose to make their donation directly to Spare Key and permit us the flexibility to support families with grant payments, or they may choose to recommend their Spare Key donation to a specific family's funding goal.
- A donor's gift to Spare Key is eligible for a tax deduction, whether given to support Spare Key's general fund or recommended to support a specific family.
- All donations made on a family's behalf are sent directly to a lender or service provider, so donors can have 100% assurance that 100% of their donation goes where it was intended.
- Spare Key receives no administrative fee. While there is a small credit card processing fee, it is our hope that donors will cover that cost and, if not, in the short-term Spare Key will cover the costs of credit card processing fees.
- 100% support of all approved applicants is Spare Key's goal in using the Help Me Bounce Program.
The Spare Key Help Me Bounce Program is intended to:
- Allow Spare Key to serve more families.
- Reduce the amount of time it takes to let a family know if Spare Key can help them with their financial goal.
- Speed up our ability to make payments for families who have been approved for the Help Me Bounce Program.
- Minimize paperwork and administrative processes.
- Provide direct financial support from Spare Key, our donor base and family's own personal networks and connections.
- Provide a blog feature to allow families to keep friends and family updated on the medical and health status of their family member.
- Eligibility requirements do not change under Help Me Bounce.
- In fact, we have expanded eligibility effective May 1, 2018, to include parents or legal guardians of children 18 years and younger to apply for a grant if they are the sick or injured family member.
- Social Workers will be asked to complete a brief form, via an email link, that confirms a family is eligible under Spare Key's guidelines to join the Help Me Bounce Program.
- And, because we are eliminating all paper and web-based applications, Social Workers do not need to hunt down a fax machine or wait for a family to get them a piece of paper to complete in order to ensure a family can finish their application for the Help Me Bounce Program.